The easiest way to download jDip is to click on the Web Start download below. If the Web Start link does not work, Java may not be installed. Windows users may download the version of jDip with the latest version of Java included. Users of Windows, Linux, and Solaris can get Java here. Macintosh users can get the latest version of Java from Software Update.
Please view the instructions prior to downloading. If the installer fails or manual installation is preferred, a "no installer" version is also available.
jDip is made available at no cost, and licensed under the GNU General Public License.
Download: jDip Version 1.7 Preview 1
This is a preview release.
Your feedback is appreciated.
Web Start users: only final releases will be made available from Web Start.
|Windows||Download (5.5 MB)||View|
|Mac OS X||Download (6.8 MB)||View|
|Linux or Solaris||Download (6.8 MB)||View|
|Any (no installer)||Download (6 MB)||View|
Download: jDip Version 1.6.8
|Platform||With Java||Without Java||Instructions|
|Windows||Download (23.1 MB)||Download (7.5 MB)||View|
|Mac OS X||-||Download (7.2 MB)||View|
|Linux or Solaris||-||Download (7.2 MB)||View|
|Any (no installer)||-||Download (6.6 MB)||View|
|Web Start Web Install (All Platforms)|
|Install with Web Start||View Instructions|
|Older Versions and Support Files|
|Browse and Download here|
|jDip Source Code (for programmers)|
|Download (7.2 MB)||View Instructions|
Windows Installation Instructions
After downloading, double-click
jdip-1.6.8-windows-with-java.exeto start the installer.
- If you do not have or are not sure if you have Java 1.4 (or later) installed, be sure to download the package above which includes the Java; this will automatically install the latest version of Java (1.4.2_05) and jDip for you. Alternatively, the latest version of Java may be downloaded from Sun's Java web site.
- If Java is installed, Windows users can also use the same installer that Mac and Linux use (jdip-1.6.8-install.jar), and run it by double-clicking on it.
- If jDip still does not run, please use the Contact page for help.
Mac OS X Installation Instructions
After downloading double-click
- Mac OS X 10.3.3 or later is required.
- Macintosh users can get the latest version of Java from Software Update.
If for some reason the installer fails, download the no-installer
version and uncompress it into a folder of your choice. Then
jdip.jarfile to run jDip.
Linux Installation Instructions
After downloading open a shell and,
cdto the directory where you downloaded the installer.
At the prompt type:
java -jar jdip-1.6.8-install.jar
- A Java 1.4 (or later) virtual machine must be installed. You can download one from Sun's Java web site.
- An XFree86 version greater than 4.1 is also recommended.
Any (No Installer) Installation Instructions
- Java 1.4 or later must be installed
- After downloading, uncompress
jdip-1.6.8-bin-noinstaller.zipto a directory (folder) you have created.
- To start jDip, try one of the following:
- Double-click the
cdto the directory you created, and type
java -jar jdip.jar
- Double-click the
- You must create any shortcuts manually
- You need to install a Java 1.4 (or later) virtual machine. You can download one from Sun's Java web site.
- This version should install on any platform that has Java 1.4 or later
- For Linux users, an XFree86 version greater than 4.1 is recommended
Web Start Instructions
Java 1.4 or later must be installed, which includes Java Web Start. If Java Web Start is not installed, the Web Start link will not work correctly. In some cases, it may display text on the browser screen.
An advantage of using Java Web Start to install is that every time jDip is run from your computer, it will check to see if the latest version is installed. If it is not, it will download and install the latest version of jDip and its components.
More information on Java Web Start is available here.
Source Code Instructions
Please note that the most current (post-release) source code is in the CVS repository; more information about CVS is available here.
The source code download contains all the Java source code to build jDip, all resources (such as html, xml, and graphics files), and pre-compiled supporting libraries (such as Batik). It is recommended that you read the Getting Started document for more information about building jDip.
Developmental Build Instructions
Every night, a new version of jDip is automatically created and made available on the website. This version is created from the latest code, the same code that is available in CVS.
Because developmental versions contains the most current code, testing is not complete, and there may be bugs or debugging code present. In fact, it may not work at all!
No compatibility is guaranteed between developmental and release versions.
Developmental builds can be installed by unarchiving (unzipping) the files into a directory. To be safe, do not unarchive the files into your working jDip directory.